Free Restaurant Marketing, Advertising and Information

MenuSearch is an online community that not only gives you information about the restaurants, but shows you the restaurant menus themselves. Our main focus is on independently owned and operated restaurants. We fully believe in and support those restaurants that create dishes with passion and are there to make our experience great. Where available, we also provide links to discounts, coupons, and reservation services.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas & Tampa, NV & FL, United States

Sunday, June 1, 2008

The size of your menu

I want to briefly talk about the size of your menu:

  • the items are actually on your menu
  • the "physical" size of your menu

Part 1 is a topic that has always boggled my mind. If you're a restaurant that offers 100+ items on your menu, I have some questions for you. How do you offer that with consistant quality? Do you offer it all the time? How do I decide? Of these three questions, you can probably only answer two of them but from a user and a diner, I implore you to cut me some slack. If I see too many items on a menu, it takes me forever to decide. If I want Italian, I'm going to an Italian restaurant. If I want Chinese, I'm going to a Chinese restaurant. Sorry Cheesecake Factory - you lose. Pick a culinary path and make it the best possible product you can. I'm sure many out there agree and you'll actually save money in the long run.

Part 2 is something that always makes me laugh. I go in and ask for a takeout menu and it's the size of a movie poster. How am I going to put that in my back pocket until I get to my car? I understand you may want to have an "over sized" menu to fit your items that are legible to those over the age of 35 but c'mon. Anything that can't be folded and put in my pocket can't be a takeout menu. Some restaurants have tried to give me the insert from their dinner menu and call that their takeout menu. Again, c'mon. Take your menu and simplify it so people can share what you have to offer you're missing out. Try not to have a billboard sized menu for your diners to take with them.

These two considerations will really go a long way in the eyes of the consumer and both will save you some money in the short and long runs.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home